New member w/ Bugeye questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: New member w/ Bugeye questions
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 16:30:47 EST
Boy.  Now this is a useful mailing list.  Sure wish I knew of this
resource 10 years ago, before I bought Bugeye #1.  I bought it from
my boss - he was a sharp guy and was busy getting the body ready for
the final paint,  It had to be good, right?  Wrong.  I quickly
learned how little metal is actually required in a British unibody.
I don't know who was more stupid - my boss getting a totally rusted
car ready for painting or me for buying it from him.  At least I
probably saved his life - the left spring surely was headed for the
middle of his back in a couple of miles.

As bad as this car is though, it is totally original.  The original
948 engine and most little parts - even down to a set of side curtains!
So instead of crushing it and moving on to some rational hobby, I did
what all good SOLites would do - I bought another.  This time I knew
what to look for.  No engine but a good solid body.

Time past, a child came, a new house...  Eventually I sent the body
off to a guy who races a vintage MGB and works on LBCs when he has to
- a year later I had a beautiful red Bugeye body.  More time past -
during which I would take a piece of the car and  obsess over it for
a month or two.  A speedometer, handbrake components, wiper system,
heater blower...  Pieces have been cleaned, painted and carefully
packed away.  New pieces from England, Moss, Motorhead, Vicky Brit,
MiniMania....

And I'm not done yet.  This stuff sucks you in.  You can't put just
anything on a beautiful body - It has to look good and be right.  So I
have a few million questions....

1.   I also got a hardtop with Bugeye #2.  Seller said it was an
original factory hardtop - I was skeptical but now know it is after
carefully examining a picture in Geoff Healey's Sprite book.  AH
Spares in England apparently sells new latches for it.  Anyone know
if rubber is available??  The fiberglass is crazed but it still is
solid.  How should I refinish it?  A new gel coat?  Bondo and paint??

2.    I took off ribbed red rubber from the inside of the doors.  Is
this stuff available anywhere?  The Moss trim kit has you put in
vinyl there - it's not the same.

3.    The combination oil pressure/water temp gauge is kaput.  Any
opinions on where to get a new one (ha) or where to get it rebuilt?

4.    AH Spares also is advertising new seat foams.  Mine are pretty
gross.  Any experience with these?  Any alternatives?

That's enough for now.  Answer these and I'll have more.  Someday
I'll even have mechanical questions.  Hmm, maybe I'll even have to
tune the engine....

Pete Andrews                                     1959 AH Sprite Mk1
AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591