Re: New member w/ Bugeye questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New member w/ Bugeye questions
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 13:00:23 -0500
Daren Stone replies to Pete Andrews:

 >> A common misconception with fiberglass is that you
     can re-gel coat it, but you cannot, and I'll try to
     explain why. (Please bear with me, it's been 6 yrs.
     since Polymer Engineering .... ;-)
....<rest deleted>

Well I claim no experience in this area, but can only add two other reference
points to what Daren has previously explained:

1) In my shop manual for my '79 Esprit, Lotus has you respray the area after
   making the necessary repairs to the fiberglass with some sort of cut resin/
   polyurethane spay - prior to final painting. Is this some sort of "sudo-gel
   coat"? (I don't know).

2) Miles Wilkins has written a book on the subject that can be gotten from
   Classic Motorbooks. It's not that expensive and might be worth the reading
   before undertaking a major fiberglass repair project. (it's got lots of
   pictures of "right way" & "wrong way" results in it).

-Bob T.