RE: New member w/ Bugeye questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com
Subject: RE: New member w/ Bugeye questions
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 14:43:56 PST
Pete Andrews asks about his Bugeye;

1.   I also got a hardtop with Bugeye #2. The fiberglass is crazed
     but it still is solid.  How should I refinish it?  A new gel
     coat?  Bondo and paint??

     >> A common misconception with fiberglass is that you
     can re-gel coat it, but you cannot, and I'll try to
     explain why. (Please bear with me, it's been 6 yrs.
     since Polymer Engineering .... ;-)
          When laying up a object in a mold (hardtops, boat
     hulls, etc.) and you desire a smooth outside finish,
     you put down gel coat first on the inside of a mold
     so that the fibers from whatever fiberglass media
     (cloth, mat, or spray from a chopper gun) that you put
     down next do not mar the surface of the object you are
     constructing. Since the gel coat dries against the
     inside of the mold, when you remove the object from the
     mold you get a smooth outside surface. However, once
     the object is removed from the mold, there is nothing
     for additional gel coat (if added later), to dry smoothly
     against, and doing so would give you a smoother version
     of the inside of your hardtop looks like, but certainly
     nothing like the outside. There is hope tho ....
          There is a primer available at better automotive
     paint supply stores that is designed to be used on raw
     fiberglass that will fill in the waves/fibers/etc in
     one or two coats. What you want to do is this;
          If the gel coat is really cracked & crazed, take it
     off with a razor blade scraper. Paint directly over this
     and you're paint will eventually soak into the cracks, and
     you are back where you started from. you don't want to use a
     sander/grinder to remove the gel coat, because you'll
     end up cutting into the fiberglass in places and those
     oopses then have to be filled with something. Trust me,
     if the gel coat is brittle enough to craze & crack,
     it'll probably come off in big sheets with a sharp
     blade.
          Next, using some ~ 100 grit sandpaper wrapped
     around a soft sponge pad (so your fingers don't cause
     grooves to be sanded in the fiberglass), go over the
     whole top just to rough it up/even it out/remove any
     traces of gelcoat.
          Next spray on a good thick coat of "that" primer
     (I'll remember the name right after I send this).
     Directly on top of this lightly dust a coat of paint of
     a contrasting color. This is called a "guide coat"
     because it "guides" you to where the problem areas are
     when "blocking" (sanding with the sponge pad to get the
     object flat & smooth). When all this is dry, go back to
     your sponge block & some ~240 grit paper & begin
     sanding (blocking) in straight, even strokes. What you'll
     quickly see is that the guide coat is sanded away easily
     from the high spots, indicating where the low spots are.
     You can concentrate your sanding there to get the low spots
     out, but the minute you go through the primer around a
     low spot, STOP, because you'll need to add more primer
     to be able to get this area flat. Repeat this as many
     times as you feel is required to achieve the level of
     "straightness" you want, each time moving to a finer
     grade of sandpaper. A color coat of paint is usually
     applied after a sanding with 400 grit, with good
     results.
          Sorry so long-winded, and if you find a source for
     hardtop sealing rubber, please let me/us know !

4.    AH Spares also is advertising new seat foams.  Mine are pretty
gross.  Any experience with these?

     >>I'll try to be briefer here ;-) We rebuilt my seat
     foams by cutting up carpet padding and stuffing it in
     the holes in the original foam bolsters. Ugly, but it
     worked.

          cheers-
                 daren