Re: BGT trans. removal

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BGT trans. removal
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 23:37:04 -0500 (EST)

> >   I have decided against my better judgement to attempt the removal
> > of my transmission without removing the engine from the car. I live
> > in Wisconsin, so rolling the car outside isn't a good idea, unless I
> > would wait till august, when it might warm up. Anyway, I was informed that
> > I have to cut the small frame piece under the car to get the transmission
> > out. If this is in fact true,
>
> It is not.  That piece is bolted into the car on both roadster and GT
> versions of the MGB, and I have the medical records to prove it. :-)

 Umm, there is the trans crossmember, which is bolted in. There is also a
cross-bar in the driveshaft tunnel that is welded in. This piece is right
under the tailshaft extension, such that you can not get the trans out.
DO NOT CUT THIS! It is a major structural piece of the unibody!!

 If you want the transmission, you have to pull the engine. If you're just
after the clutch, and your car is not o/d, you can move the trans just
far enough to get the clutch out. To move the trans back:

Remove:
  o- center console
  o- gear shift lever
  o- sound/heat shielding on tunnel
  o- large steel plate on top of trans tunnel
  o- complete shift tower extension from gearbox
  o- wiring
  o- drain oil
  o- slave cylinder
  o- drive shaft
  o- starter
  o- trans crossmember
  o- speedo cable
  o- all bellhousing bolts

  Now, move the trans back about half an inch, then rotate it 90 degrees,
such that the starter "bump" is pointing down. Finish pushing it back.
You should be able to get it back just far enough to get the clutch off,
and (with clutch removed) your hand between the flywheel and bellhousing
to retrieve the release bearing.

  I have only done this once. I find it *much* easier and faster to remove
the engine. But then, I do have a nice travelling chain hoist, not a
cherry picker.

    Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com