Re: Dipsticks, etc.

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dipsticks, etc.
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 1994 00:45:25 -0500 (EST)

> > Speaking of dipsticks, would anybody happen to have a tranny dipstick for my
> > '74 MGB?  Or, at the very least, would some kind soul pass along the
>measure-
> > ments so i could fashion a makeshift one?  It makes me ancy, driving without
> > knowing the oil level in my gearbox.
>
> Gearbox dipstick?  Didn't know 'Bs had one.  Anyway, I'd just top off
> the oil and keep an eye out for leaks.

Just for the record, MGB's up through 74 had the fill plug on *top* of the
box. The fill hole plug is a stopper sort of thing, with a dipstick built
in. 75 on B's have the much more mundane fill plug in side, fill to bottom
of hole arrangement. (hmmm, memory is failing, split might be 76-77).

 I can think of two reasons for the change. The one that most likely
interested B(P)L was reduced cost. A 1/2' pipe plug is bunches cheaper than
that fancy cork stopper/dipstick. The reason I like the later style has to
do with the location. To access the dipstick, you pull back the carpeting
behind the console, remove a rubber bung in the tunnel, and fish the (stuck)
dipstick up through the hole with your pinky. Of course, being behind the
console, the monster radios of the 70's (pre IC) got in the way, and realy
large ones had to be removed. Also, oiling the box without oiling the carpet
is a minor problem. :>

   Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com