Re: Volvo ad vs MG

To: flake@d311510.atl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Volvo ad vs MG
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 94 13:29:21 PST
I've seen the ad.  It's only mildly obnoxious -- nothing like most ads
these days.  It's some woman doing a voice over about all the stuff her
dad has tried to teach her, while some new Volvo (after the 122S, they
all look alike except to get progressively more hideous :-) is shown
doing various things.  "He's owned five Volvos, plus one old M.G.
that he works on every weekend."  At that point they show an MGA's
wing, the chrome oval louvers, and a wrench sitting next to the open
bonnet.

In a piece of what surely must be unconscious irony, this smarmy uptight
white Connecticut bitch-voice doing the narration pops off with a mildly
snotty tone about "He says that some people know the cost of everything
and the value of nothing... whatever that means."

As a member of both the Volvo and British-cars mailing lists, I humbly
submit that I have a pretty good idea which membership, on the aggregate,
has a better understanding of just what the hell her father was talking
about.

--Scott "Member of the Mr. Toad School of Financial Planning" Fisher