RE: A-H Overdrive

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE: A-H Overdrive
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 16:27 EST
>I just pulled the engine/transmission out of my BJ7. I noticed a little
>lever on the left side of the overdrive unit.

This little doohickey is properly titled the "valve setting lever", but
it can also be used to actuate the overdrive.  The valve operating shaft
passes through the OD unit, with the lever operating on one end and the
solenoid on the other.  There is a hole in the setting lever which should
line up with another hole in the OD case when the OD is engaged by the
solenoid action.  A 3/16 diameter rod can be inserted to hold the lever
in the correct position while the solenoid lever is adjusted on the
other side of the case.

The lever can be actuated manually when testing the OD unit on the car.
It opens a valve to let oil pressure into the OD actuating cylinders.
This info is from my Service Manual for the BN1-2 series cars.  I am
way too familiar with insides of the OD unit.

Jim Beckman     jeb@mtqua.att.com     1955 A-H 100