whats the problem now???

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: whats the problem now???
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 15:36:56 CST
Well, the euphoria of this weekends succesful tune-up has subsided a little,
and a seemingly new one has crept up on me.

I been letting the Midget warm up for at least 5 minutes on half choke
(it starts first crank, even this morning) before driving her. For the first
10 mins shes always a little 'lumpy' in every gear...misfiring so it seems.
The only way to cure this is pull the choke  a little and shes fine.
 (Note: she idles a rest (1000rpm) no problem). Today is a little colder than
last weekend (20F) and I drove the 6 miles from campus to work and I had to
keep the choke permanently half out otherwise she bucked like a horse
with misfiring. Now, the temp. needle is only ever 2/3's way towards the 'N'
from the white 'C' mark. i.e. perhaps shes running a little cold?

Is this missfiring due to the cold (should I put a winter thermostat in?,
te current one is a standard) or is it more carb. problems?? NB I switched
back to stock needles (from Grose) at the advice of S.Fisher, because
I was having richness problems. Over the weekend she was running great (
temps. in the 40's).

All comments welcome.....I'm emphasizing the coldness, but that may not
be the problem at all....I never thought lbcs ever ran cool??

Marcus