Speedo Angle drive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo Angle drive
From: Jean Hertzberg <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 18:54:39 -0700 (MST)
Every few years the speedo angle drive on the transmission of my 68 B dies.
I've been replacing them with $15 junkyard parts because they are $100 new.
I think I'm on my fourth or fifth now. Every time I get one I resolve to put
try to put a grease fitting on it, but I haven't actually done that yet.

Has anybody else put a grease fitting on this doohickey? (If ever a part
could be described as a doohickey, this is it). Has anybody had any
success getting a busted one rebuilt? My local speedo shop was unable to
rebuild the similar part on the speedo itself.

I'd resign myself to another junkyard part, but my repair forays have
become limited to the summer months, so I'm looking for a
longer-lasting fix.

-Jean H