restoring faded paint...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: restoring faded paint...
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 1994 13:39:11 -0600
I've got a dumb question.  Since the weekend weather was nice, I had some
time to fool with the TR6, specifically the paint.  This car has a badly
faded and oxidized original coat (probably a lacquer?) of Carmine red .  I
thought I'd try rubbing it out (by hand, one section at a time).  Now,
I've tried this in the past on other cars with only limited success.  I
also haven't been able to find a really good book on the subject
(suggestions?).  Usually I'd leave this stuff to a pro BUT, I couldn't
resist at least trying again.  I managed to polish off the top coat of
oxidation and the front fender is red again instead of pink.  The
problem?  I don't seem to be able to bring out a nice deep colour and
shine (wish I could just keep it wet :-) and I'm hoping someone can offer
some hints.

Here's what I did yesterday, carefully following the directions on my can
of polishing compound.  I've added my own questions to the directions...
(1)  Wash car first.  I knew that was important so I scrubbed the old
surface really clean.  No questions here.
(2)  Apply small amount of polishing compound to well-dampened cloth.  OK,
how wet should it be?  I grabbed a clean but ratty underwear rag, got it
soaked and wrung the water out pretty well.
(3)  Rub compound well into surface, turning cloth frequently.  OK, I
gather I should first apply the compound to the surface and then rub it in
with the other parts of the rag (which are free from compound)?  Makes
sense.  Also, how hard should I rub?
(4)  Remove excess before it dries.  OK, I tried removing the excess with
another rag but there was always a little compound residue that dried to a
white haze.  I also tried rinsing with water but then had trouble with the
next step which is...
(5)  Finish by buffing with a clean dry cloth.  This step always
disappointed me.  The slightly wet or damp surface would always end up
dull.

So, any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Steps (4) and
(5) are likely where I'm not doing things right.  I take it this whole
procedure requires LOTS of clean rags too, right?  I HAVE access to a
polishing wheel but don't dare try it yet.  Besides, the technique is
probably different too and I'd hate to buff off what little paint I have
left :-o !

Thanks,
jim