Sandblasting and painting engine parts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Sandblasting and painting engine parts
From: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (A. B. Bonds)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 09:22:27 CST
You probably do not need to sandblast anything.  Plastic or walnut shell
media will usually remove paint, but not corrosion.  Quickest solution (so
to speak) is to get the components hot-tanked.  This can usually be done at
a local machine shop; if you are lucky enough to live near a Readi-Strip
outfit, they do a great job.  The hot-tanking will eat everything, and it
will clean out the inside of your block as well.  _Be Sure_ to clean out
any oil lines _thoroughly_ after tanking--I usually flush with acetone, then
blow lots of air through.

The inside of the blockand pan can be painted with something called Glyptal.
It is marketed by General Electric, and is used for sealing electric motor
and transformer windings.  It is not oil soluble.  Check Bill Hirsch (ads
in Hemmings, among other places) for appropriate engine paint, both black and
colored.  I have had reasonable luck with epoxy black, but it does not give
and "authentic" matte finish.  I made the mistake of doing bits of my Roller eng
engine in Imron.  It yielded a very lumpy finish, and in some spots fell off
in sheets.  This could be due to the pig-ignorance of the guy who put it on....

A last warning--do _not_ put any nonferrous materials (brass, aluminum) into
a hot tank.  The solution is very basic and it will eat same.

                                A. B. Bonds
I am owned by spawn of Abingdon, Feltham and Derby.