Re: Sandblasting and painting engine parts

To: DEnnis <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting and painting engine parts
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 18:02:16 -0500
++> Will sandblasting pistons and cranks to clean them mess them up??  Just
++> kidding.  But seriously, I want to clean and remove the paint down to bare
++> metal on the following:  front and rear engine plates, rocker cover, oil
++> pan, block EXTERIOR only, and timing cover.  What is the best way to do thi
s.
++> I thought about sandblasting but will this score the surface so the joint f
aces
++> will not seal correctly??  I will, of course, paint these parts after clean
ing

        I don't think you'll have any problems blasting your engine
components if you use glass beads, plastic media, or walnut shells.
In fact, the plastic media will probably not even dull the surface of
the metal parts, just take the paint off (also note, it won't take any
rust off either)  Your machine shop should be able to stick your
block in a hot caustic soda (I think thats what it is) tank and get
it pretty darn clean.  Be careful to make sure you get the inside of
the water jacket clean, it usually has some pretty tough corrosion in
it.  There is a big blob of crud on the front of your timing cover
which I assume is to quiet the chain/sprocket noise (we've argued
about it on the list before)  I don't know what you can do about
replacing it after painting.

--
William woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu