Re: British Cars Digest #1105 Wed Feb 16 01:15:02 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1105 Wed Feb 16 01:15:02 MST 1994
From: Mike Wynn <M.J.Wynn@sussex.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 10:07:06 +0000 (GMT)
RE mail from:

From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com/ Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 12:50:33 EST

I should introduce myself first, I am a research worker from university
of sussex, uk. and during my time as a student i have owned an early `74
midget (chrome bumpers and a series lump) and various less appealing
vehicles, at present I am building a tr7 v8 for road rallying. This is
being built as a standard car class vehicle whilst using as many of the
works tweaks as i can squeeze in. The engine will remain largely
standard, however, i have some experience of building and running tuned
engines as i rebuilt the midget and have co-run an alfasud and other road
rally vehicles.
my OPINIONS are as follows:

        1. How sensitive are SU's to a change in air flow requirements?
Should/can I change the needle and spring combo?  Can I play games with the
weight of the damping fluid to impact transient response?

get the transient response sorted first by lifting the dashpots and then
watching them fall, alter the oil damping until they both take the same
time. slap some decent airfilters on and then (when the engine is loose)
get it put on a rolling road.

        2. The carbs are from a RHD '68 Volvo, and when mated to an MGB intake
manifold, seem to tilt in towards the engine at about 15 degrees from
horizontal.  Does that change how the float sets the level of the fuel in
the jet?  Is this a second order concern?

the su is i believe referred to as a semi downdraft -no worries.

I have some questions of my own:
does anyone know if the lsd fitted to some jags (xj12 and xjs) fits a
rover sd1 or late tr7 backaxle (also known as the bl medium duty axle).
works tr7 v8 were fitted with a powerlok lsd derived from a 4ha
salisbury diff. this fitted within the standard casing (i think).

mike wynn