Bugeye Grill and Manual

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye Grill and Manual
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 94 08:35:40 EST
This list continues to be a great inspiration to me.  I can't stand
reading about other people enjoying driving their LBCs while mine
languishes in the basement.  And I have found many others afflicted with
the dreaded shipwrights disease - and some of them conquer it enough to
get their cars back on the road!  I can do it.  I WILL do it.

The body is in perfect shape.  The rear axle and suspension has been
shipwighted to death and is back on.  I have most interior pieces and
started over the weekend to reassemble the innards - quickly gathering a
list of more needs.

The dimmer switch for example.  The dimmer swith is electrical - where's
the wiring?  Oh, I remember.  "Complete harness may not include minor
subharnesses."  Nuts.  Go visit '59 Bugeye in the garage - sure enough it
is still there (too difficult for PO to fool with during his "rewiring
job".  Its original but too ugly to put in the new car.  While I'm at it
I take out the original bonnet loom (aren't British words neat?) to
compare to the new one.  Whups.  More "minor subharnesses".  This time a
couple of short harnesses to the headlights.

On to the catalogs.  Moss doesn't offer them but VB has the dimmer switch
harness in braid for $25 and the headlamp harness for $10/each but only
in PVC.   Now why did they do that?  Anyone know where to get the
headlamp harness in braid?  (I feel that disease coming on again...)

I found some stainless sheetmetal screws at a local hardware store to
attach the defroster nozzels and the air vents.  I have often wished
someone would offer a complete Bugeye fastener kit with stainless
hardware where appropriate.  Sure would save time in scrounging.

I'm sure this is a FAQ but bear  with me.  I need a new Bugeye grill and
the prices in the catalogs are all over the map.  Sports and Classics
advertises one for $99.  Motorhead is $175, VB and Moss are around $240.
Does anyone have any advice?

I have been using a Bentley Sprite and MIdget 948/1098 manual for some of
my work.  I just noticed a new BL Bugeye Workshop manual listed in the
Moss flyer with "new new new new new" by it.  Is this book worth the $35?

So here's the weekend.  Bonnet buffers, fuse box, voltage regulator,
heater blower, gas pedal - It's starting to look like a car!

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591