Re: Bugeye Grill and Manual

To: Tom Sabo <toms@sharebase.com>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Grill and Manual
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 16:56:03 -0500 (EST)

> Ack... Did I miss something?  What is pozi-drive?

Pozi-drive are a cross head screw that resembles Phillips.  But the angle
and/or depth and/or fit is different.  Anyway, a phillips screwdriver
comes tantalizingly close to fitting but doesn't, so it will mess up the
head of a pozi-drive screw.  A lot of what people call phillips on modern
cars are pozi-drives.

I don't know what the advantage is, but I suspect pozi-drive screws
actually can be stuck on the end of a pozi-drive screwdriver, and inserted
one-handed.  Anyway, they are visibly different from phillips because they
have either 4 radial lines or 4 dimples between the arms of the slots.
So, at a concours, the judges get a knowing glow in their eyes when they
see regular phillips screws where there should be pozi-drives, and start
deducting points.

As has been reported, buy pozi-drive screwdrivers if your car has
pozi-drive screws; it will save headaches.  I bought a set of 4, but the
largest one is too big for anything on the bugeye.  Three cover everything
(I think sizes 0-2, but I am not sure.)

Ray Gibbons