Re: batteries

To: WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (Will Zehring)
Subject: Re: batteries
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 11:24:04 -0500
>From: Will Zehring <WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
>
>Second question (related to first):   This is likely an FAQ, but here goes
>anyway:  is there a danger in getting a high amp battery when the car
>came with a lower rated battery to begin with?

The simple answer is no, a car is supposed to be voltage regulated and all
the loads only take what they need. In other words, you should buy a battery
with a current rating sufficient to supply whatever the starter wants.
Hpofully, your generator (AC,DC or whatever) can supply more current than
you need during normal operation, anyway. If you're already working at or
above the battery's rating, you will get more current with a bigger one, and
while your systems *should* be designed to operate at full current at nominal
voltage, with Lucas you just never know. The other thing is you will get
higher short-circuit curents when something goes wrong, so a shorted
wiring harness will melt faster with a bigger battery. The last thing
is that if everything was working fine with a small battery, a bigger one
won't do you any better.

>I am somewhere south of a
>cheese danish

Mmmm, cheese danish! To the north of me is a breezeblock wall!

Jody - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 wedge