Re: V8 conversions British copper wire

To: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Subject: Re: V8 conversions British copper wire
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 11:32:01 -0500
>From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
>Kirby Palm writes to the Jag. lovers:
>> I'll even give you a basic test: take a piece of wire from a British car,
>> strip the insulation, and take a single copper strand and bend it back and
>> forth until it breaks.  Do the same with a wire from a Jap car.  You will
                                                          ^^^^^^^
>> note that the Brits can't even make the wire itself last.
>
>When I stripped the wires, I found they were coated with a hard, black oxide
>that resisted fluxing extremely effectively.  I wound up SANDING EACH STRAND
>to expose bright copper so I could solder the damn things together.
>
>This problem might not be Triumph's fault, but I thought it was a funny
>coincidence that the first time I ever saw this (and I teach electrical
>engineering) was on my LBC.

First time I ever saw this was on an '82 Mitsubishi. In 89 its connectors
were so corroded that if you looked at them funny they'd fall apart. I spent
many a winter evening traking down solid green lumps at the ends stiff
wires. I couldn't even cut back to where it wasn't corroded; the strands
were oxidized as much as six inches back from the connector!

Jody - jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 TR7