Re: SOL servers, FAQs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (SOL)
Subject: Re: SOL servers, FAQs
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 8:07:13 CST
Roger Garnett writes:
> The most exciting new thing on the server, is of course the beginnings of
> a WWW server for those of you with Mosiac or Cello access. This stuff
> allows a mix of hypertext and graphic viewing of information on TRIUMPH,
> and may eventually allow easy searches of the digests for that bit of
> information you know is there somewhere...

An idea that's been stewing in the back of my mind for a while now is
an index of all the topics in the digests.  This would be a file,
tentatively named TOPICS.INDEX, which would be similar to the index
one finds at the back of a book.  For each topic (e.g. wire wheels,
welding rigs, rust preventers, you name it), a list of which digests
that topic appears in would be listed.  This index would expedite the
searches mentioned above, and be beneficial in answering questions
like:  "We discussed frobbing the widgets recently, but I deleted it,
and now I need it, does anybody still have those articles?".

The plan would be for TOPICS.INDEX to be updated weekly or monthly,
and be available both at the ftp site and on the mail server.
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922

"Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble..."