Down with rag tops

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Down with rag tops
From: malcolm956@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 94 14:51:00 EST
FROM: malcolm956@aol.com (Malcolm Forbes)

 > Putting the top down incorrectly is the quickest way to buy a new top
 > that I can think of, and *everyone* puts Midget tops down incorrectly
 > at first.  It's not intuitive.

Scott Fisher provides exquisite instructions on how to fold a British rag
top.  By all means follow them.  Take your time and do it right.

However, 100,000+ miles in a TD in the wintry north east convinced me that
there is one additional thing to do to make a top really last.  Fold it as
carefully as described above and NEVER PUT IT BACK UP.  Invest the money that
otherwise would go into new tops in a tonneau cover and a really good rain
coat and/or ski parka.  The odd thing (actually one of a long list) about the
TD was that you took in more snow with the top up than with the top down.

You can l
earn a lot about a person.  If dates won't go out under these conditions, get
rid of them.  Find one who understands and you are set for life. It worked
for me over thirty-five years ago.

A yea
r ago I came home with a 1965 88" Series IIA Land Rover.  She looked at me
funny, muttered someth
ing about "never too late to have a happy childhood", and we went for a ride.