Re: Rover/tr7 parts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover/tr7 parts
From: Mike Wynn <M.J.Wynn@sussex.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:59:04 +0000 (GMT)
A reply to kevin Burtch...

?  I have read/heard from a few different sources that Rover 3500 (SD1) parts
? can be used on a TR7/8 for better brakes, and a wider track. (and bigger rims)
? what parts interchange?
? SD1 struts/springs, or the TR7's?

I know of a gent. who has an old tr7 stage rally car which uses sd1
rover struts which have been modified to use 2 1/4 inch id coil springs
on adjustable platforms. he did this to allow him to use rover vitesse
4pot vented brakes with the minimum of hassle. i intend to use rover 4
pot brakes and ford sierra x4i or xr4x4 front discs but this will require
some machining and fit on the original tr7 strut (but i want to have a
standard looking car running on std 13 inch alloys).

? Are the axle shafts the same length? Could I swap them?

the rear axle of the tr7 is a narrower version of the rover i believe
that it uses the same diff with similar brakes and shorter halfshafts.
although i think the tr7 slave cylinders are of smaller diameter. i
think that the rear drums may also be a bit wider.
Grinnall conversions (UK) do a tr7v8 conversion that runs all rover
suspension (for the reason of brakes and diff ratio) and sticks the lot
under wider flared wheel arches.

as far as the need for uprating brakes goes its really a question of
horses for courses: the later works cars ran 4 pot alloy calipers with 13
inch vented discs and a disc braked rear axle. as far as i know this
setup was consdered satisfactory with wheels as big as 8 inch slicks.
but this was for rallying so if you are running a tarmac race car with
over 330 bhp and bigger tyres it may be that this is not sufficient!!!

there are a number of books that i can recommend but none that i can
remember all the details for! these include information re fuel
injection etc. i will mail the net soon with the details

i believe this is all correct if someone knows better please let me know
or write to me at:
kapp3@uk.ac.sussex.central
mike wynn