Re: Bugeye Miata!

To: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch X8534 Ppppp)
Subject: Re: Bugeye Miata!
From: Miq Millman <mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 17:01:30 PST
Kevin Burtch X8534 Ppppp says:
> This is in response to Wayne Angevine's "Pixy dust, etc..." post.
>
> If you want a "unique" looking Miata, check out the Kit Car mags! There is
> a Bugeye nose kit that is absoloutely adorable! (IMHO) One of the mags did
> a review or helped install one or something. Anyhow, they were genuinely
> impressed with the quality, and design. It reused almost everything, with
> the exception of the headlight lift mechanism. (not needed)
>
> One other (actually two) mod is an engine swap. One company is converting
> them to RX7 Rotary power, and another is putting in Mustang 5.0 plants!!

As an owner of samples of both the originals that make up this fiasco, I have
one word for this:  revolting.

However the supercharger, turbo charger, 5.0 liter V8, and rotary are all
viable options to make the non-b- lbc go faster.  I've opted for the
supercharger plus other go fast parts.

Now ask me about a rotary Bugeye for a real kick.......

PS  Did you know the Japanese horses (as in horse power) are smaller than
German horses?  So said the owner of Beck Development Inc.  English horses
are smaller than German, but larger than Japanese.  American horses run in
the wrong direction.  Really!  He told me this himself whilst we were
discussing various engines that could be made to go into their kit cars.

Me: "Do you have any choices for putting in a rotary engine?"

Him:  "Not unless you wanna f**k the car up."

Me:  (unfazed)"Oh?  How so? and what about other engines, like a small buick
V6 or a little brittish inline four?"

Him:  "Well, you see, them other countries have different horsepower than the
germans use.  Plus all those other engines add another 400 pounds to the car.
It will ride like crap.  And that Jap <sic> engine is the worst, what they
call 240 hp is about what the Brits call 200 hp or the Americans call 160.
You can get better performance out of a VW type 1 engine with 125 hp."

Me: (uh yeah right, different horse power...) "Hmmm, I see.  What about
putting in a 3.2 plus liter engine from a late model 911?"

Him:  "Don't do that, the Porsche guys will get you real bad."

Me:  "OK, thanks for your time.  Could you send me some more data, here's my
address......"

I was taught that a horse power was 550 pounds in 1 foot in 1 second.  I
guess going metric, no they all are metric but the US, well maybe its the
international date line or something.......

--
Miq Millman   mmillman@ptdcs2.intel.com   503 642 6139   (Aloha site)
AL4-55  Intel, 5200 NE Elam Young Parkway, Hillsboro, OR 97124-6497