Re: Fuel Injection on TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection on TR6
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 26 Feb 1994 08:25:36 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I saw the fuel injection for TR6 stream, and I felt compelled to respond.

When I was visiting England a couple of years ago, I was poking around
in a magazine shop in Stratford Upon Avon when I spied the December '91
issue of Classic and Sportscar. The Carmine red TR6 on the cover naturally
caught my attention, but the article Injection of Life compelled me to
fork over the 3 or 4 pounds sterling to check it out.

Turns out some fellows at Wallasey named Mike and Jeff Pumford decided to
have at the stock Triumph / Lucas fuel injection system. The goal was to
produce a more reliable system while retaining a stock appearance for the
gear. The result, it looks stock, but it uses a lower pressure system
that should be a lot more reliable than stock. The new system is based on
the Bosch L-Jetronic system. The injectors are those from the Bosch
system.

The kicker was the cost. The injection system installed with a new head
(modified for unleaded gas) could be installed by the Pumfords in less
than a day, and the cost was 3525 punds sterling. WOW. At the time of that
article, that was $5710! You could buy a lot of TR6 parts for that kind of
cash, but I have to admit that it was a really cool installation.

That's it for now.

rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |