Re: Canajun Members

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Subject: Re: Canajun Members
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 15:12:59 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 24 Feb 1994, Christopher Ball wrote:
> My wife knitted a toque for the TR3 just to keep it warm. We're a real
> party up here in Canada though. Very friendly folks, but not as outgoing
> as you hanks, and even more reserved than the British when it comes to,
> you know, the S_X word, eh.

Hmmm... A lot of one's reservations about S_X depends, I think, on whether
your fannies are in front or in back.   If you cannot get *that* right,
S_X is likely to worry you.  As well it should.

> Anyway, like, we have these big car meetings, eh, and all the cars from
> the states come up and you know what? All the people who own LBCs are
> really nice folks with seriously bent brains. The bad guys who won't buy
> and round and the wirdos who drink five dollar water are dealt with
> pretty fast, eh.

Well, we here across the border in the east have big car shows and the
people from Quebec come in their little british cars and they walk around
saying "je me souviens" but they really don't, quite, or they'd be at
Renault shows.  But wotthehell, they're pretty nice even if they all vote
for each other in people's choice and then clap like hell and say "Eh!!!"
when they win.  They drink beer well, I've noticed.

I should point out that "eh" is the way one pronounces almost
anything in french.  It is sort the reverse of the eskimos having dozens
of for snow.  It makes french extremely easy to learn, but hard as hell to
understand.

Actually, I think I know why the Quebecois restore lbcs instead of
Renaults.  My father once bought a second-hand black Dauphine that he let
me drive to school when my 49 Willys was hors de combat (more franglish).
Anyway, I parked it in St. Louis one day when the temperature topped 103F.
When I returned, the dome light lens had distorted and fallen on the
floor and both tail light lenses had melted.  Can you imagine searching
for months for NOS tail light lenses, only to have them melt in the sun?
Even Lucas stuff doesn't do that.  Probably, what je me souviens is that
french tail light lenses melt.

Eh, Ray Gibbons, who wouldn't mind having a Traction Avant but wouldn't
have another Dauphine on a bet.