Re: Acids/ Compressors

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com (Roland Dudley)
Subject: Re: Acids/ Compressors
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 21:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

> > I can add only one thing to the current phos. acid debate. I used it on a
> > lightly rusted wire wheel and that wheel has since lost seven spokes. The
> > fellow who rebuilt it asked if I had used Phos. acid on it, and when I
> > said yes he handed the wheel back to me saying "Well, it will be cheaper
> > to replace it now". TRuth or sales. I don't know, but it SEEMED to make
> > the spokes very brittle.

   **** I confirmed this once by (unintentional) direct experiment.  In
a bunch of SAE-5 hardware were a couple of hardened steel lockwashers.
After an afternoon in my derusto bath, the nuts and bolts were nice and
clean, but the lockwashers were all eaten away.  They had turned black
and porous, rather like something spewed out of a volcano.  A cheap
lesson....

                          - Jerry Kaidor