XK120 Moss Gearbox-Final Up

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: XK120 Moss Gearbox-Final Up
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 4 May 1994 13:22:21 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:11:30 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          XK120 Moss Gearbox-Final Update        Date:5/4/94
 The Mossbox is back in, and I drove the car in to work today. It shifts
perfect, just like new (well, new for 1951 anyway). No doubts about what gear
I'm in, no chirping as I put it in 2nd, no popping out of 2nd, and no worries
about getting stuck in first. Fantastic!!

 In a previous post I said there was nothing in the XK120/Mark7 manual about
interlock plungers in the 3rd/4th synchro. Thanks to Greg Melden who sent me a
few pages from his "Complete Official Jaguar E", I see they have added a couple
of paragraphs and pictures explaining this in detail.

 I also read through a stack of old EJAG News  and Jaguar Driver magazines
looking for anything on Moss boxes. I found a couple of gems:

 In Sept '87 EJAG, former Jaguar North America service rep Roland Pike said
"The stop pin on 1st/2nd synchro is to prevent the sliding gear overrunning its
position, allowing the balls to fly out. Heavy-handed gear shifting sometimes
sheared off this pin, with the usual symptom being sticking in first gear. The
condition could be alleviated by fitting washers on the selector rod in the top
cover. The interlock plungers are to disengage the synchro cone clutches, which
tend to ride up in use and would otherwise break free with a clunk".

 In the Oct. '87 EJAG reported that in later SL and JL boxes there was a new
2nd synchro sleeve identical to the previous one, but with a stop pin added,
and the new parts were to be used whenever repairing an earlier SH, SL, JH (my
120), or JL box.

 Other than that, there seems to be virtually nothing written about these
boxes. If I get time, I may summarize my findings into one or two pages and
publish it.

 Thanks to all who responded with encouragement, especially Greg Melden, George
Haynes, Scott Fisher in AU, Ernest Davis, Roland Dudley, Roger Garnett, and
especially my co-worker Dan Snee.

Rob

"For he who sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother."
King Henry V, looking for help as he skinned his knuckles repairing his gearbox
before the battle of Agincourt.