Re: XK120 Moss Gearbox-Final Up

To: jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: XK120 Moss Gearbox-Final Up
From: "Gregory J. Melden" <gjmelden@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 15:51:11 -0400
Rob Reilly <reilly@admail.fnal.gov> writes:
> The Mossbox is back in, and I drove the car in to work today. It shifts
>perfect, just like new (well, new for 1951 anyway). No doubts about what gear
>I'm in, no chirping as I put it in 2nd, no popping out of 2nd, and no worries
>about getting stuck in first. Fantastic!!

Congratulations!  It must be great have a properly functioning gearbox.
I've filed your notes away for when I get into my own gearbox--not
in the near future, I hope.

> In Sept '87 EJAG, former Jaguar North America service rep Roland Pike said
>"The stop pin on 1st/2nd synchro is to prevent the sliding gear overrunning its
>position, allowing the balls to fly out. Heavy-handed gear shifting sometimes
>sheared off this pin, with the usual symptom being sticking in first gear. The
>condition could be alleviated by fitting washers on the selector rod in the top
>cover. The interlock plungers are to disengage the synchro cone clutches, which
>tend to ride up in use and would otherwise break free with a clunk".

This is the "repair" that I made to my gearbox.  I have my doubts that
it is very effective--my E-type still sticks in first occasionally.  Now
that I know how to unstick it (shove the stick forward and rattle my
way to neutral) the problem is more of "British charm" than a serious
mechanical problem.  I worry a bit that the first gear is now held in
position by the fork, which may cause premature wear.  I may remove
the washer and reassess whether it helps or not.

> In the Oct. '87 EJAG reported that in later SL and JL boxes there was a new
>2nd synchro sleeve identical to the previous one, but with a stop pin added,
>and the new parts were to be used whenever repairing an earlier SH, SL, JH (my
>120), or JL box.

I can't help wondering if the stop pin is the whole story.  After all,
Jaguar was delivering cars w/o the pin for many years--presumably they
did not manifest the stuck in first problem upon leaving the showroom
floor.  Maybe the stop pin was just a stop gap until the development
of the all synco gearbox (introduced with the 4.2)  :-)

greg--first gear syncros are for sissies--melden