Re: Cleaning blocks,casings etc.

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu (W. Ray Gibbons)
Subject: Re: Cleaning blocks,casings etc.
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 10:28:16 PDT

> > I'm going the overhaul the engine and box on my Mini and would
> > like to paint them before they go back in the car. The engine's
> > not that greasy but I'd like to remove the old paint first (what
> > there is of it).  I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can use a
> > caustic solution, like you might use to unblock a drain, is this
> > to be recommended?  The head and block are cast iron and the 'box
>
> I strongly recommend against a caustic solution.  I tried using oven
> cleaner on a rear axle.  It cleaned it pretty well, but despite generous
> washing afterward, it got rusty very quickly.  Also, aluminum does not
> like to be cleaned with caustic soda or the equivalent.

If the outside is to be painted and the inside coated with oil then
rusting probably won't be a problem.  Caustic solutions have the
advantage of removing both paint and grease.  However, you might want to
use something milder than drain cleaner.  I've had good luck with
trisodium phosphate.  I do agree that it's not a good idea for you to
use it on your aluminum casing.  How about steam cleaning?

Roland