1970 MGB Front-End Rebuild Questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1970 MGB Front-End Rebuild Questions
From: Bill Lattimer <billla@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 94 18:22:36 PDT
I'm just completing this, and ran into a few questions on (what I hope
is) final assembly...

First, where the heck do you get torque settings?  The Bently manual is
darn sparse on these.  The ones I need are:

1. Top spindle pivot bolt
        Also:
        * The bevel on the head of this did not fully engage the shock - is
this a
           problem?
        * I had a devil of a time getting this into the shock arm.  I
basically ended up
          removing the bolt holding the arm together, then pry like mad and
push - is
          this normal?
        * Is there any way to lubricate this - no zerk fitting?!

2. Lower spindle pivot bolt.
        Also:
        * Should there be a lock washer on this?  Seems kind 'o silly with a
castle
           nut...

Second, any major gotchas to check for?  This is my first rebuild, and
I'm planning on taking it to a local shop (Phil, where does Brian work
again?) to have it checked over before auto-xing.  Please respond
directly - I'm several weeks behind on my digests.  And thanks in
advance for all assistance offered!