re: CLUTCH PROBLEMS.

To: (~tr8), (~b-c)
Subject: re: CLUTCH PROBLEMS.
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 9 May 1994 8:56 EDT
This query appeared on the TR-8 email list:
>From mercury.lcs.mit.edu!tr8-request Mon May  9 08:36:41 1994
>TR8 CLUTCH SEIZED .......
>Previously I left the car garaged for 4 months without moving it, no problem.
>I have just left it for 2 months and it's seized !!!!
>
>Any ideas / suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
>So far I have tried starting it in gear, it hops around no problem before the
>battery goes flat, the clutch does not free up.
>I have also driven it for 25km still no luck.
>
>Before I try the "drop it off a jack" trick ( if I can manage it), does
>anyone have a suggestion ?
>Hope someone out there has a better way.
>Regards ... Paul
>End of Message

I had the same problem once with a tr-3, here's what worked for
me:

1. - Jack the rear of the car up so both wheels are clear of the
     pavement.

2. - Start the car in 4th gear...the wheels will turn under engine
     power.

3. - With the clutch pedal depressed, rev the engine and hit the brake
     peddle.  A bit of heel and toe is needed here, because you want to
     keep the engine power up (reving the engine) at the same time you
     are braking with the clutch peddle depressed.

4. - By having the car jacked up, the braking action is much more
positive than trying to accomplish the same thing driving around
     as the braking effort is not offset by trying to also stop
     the forward movement of the car.  If it works OK, it should
     break the clutch free.

Standard liability disclaimer:  I take no responsibility for the
effectiveness of this suggestion nor for any damage it may do
to the vehicle and/or its components.   (pathetic that we need to
say that, but I suppose its needed these days.)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
This has worked for several people who have had similar problems,
although yours is the first TR-8 I've heard experience the problem.

A bit of coincidence, walking in to the office from the parking
lot I just happened to see afellow employee who has a TR-6 that
had the same problem after the winter of 92 and 93, but this
year after starting it up it was OK.  Go figure :-)

Good luck and I've posted this response to both the big brit-car
list as well as the TR-8 list.
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com