Westfield beats Caterham 7

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Westfield beats Caterham 7
From: Matthew Walker <walkerm@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 May 94 14:21:50 BST
Am I the only one on the list with a Westfield? Are we going to allow
Seven owners to say these things?

The following blurb was sent to a chap who asked the same question -
'Why are Westfields better than Caterhams?'

                      ---------------------

Well I did look at both the Caterham & Westfield, but went for the Westy -
here's the story :-

Firstly the Caterham. I visited the sales office many moons ago and found
the Caterham to be well built with exceptional quality and backed up
with professional service. So I asked for a test drive, after which you will
definitley want one even if you weren't sure till that point. Ever been in
one? Yep, it's true what the press say about them - very quick, amazing
kit form (CKD) all the builder has to do is put the suspension on, engine
& transmission in and fit the interior. The other things are done for you,
which saves a LOT of time.

So what went wrong I hear you say - PRICE! It turned out that the car I wanted
was just under 15,000 pounds. The spec was as follows: 1700 Super Sprint
DeDion long cockpit car, 5 speed 'box, 185x60x14" wheels & tyres, adjustable
shocks, full interior with proper seats, complete weather equip. and all in
CKD kit form.  But all was not lost, if I got my own gearbox and engine plus
other bits I would save quite a bit. I think I got it down to around 11,000
but it was still too much.

Westfield's offering was as good I thought in the looks department as well as
quality, they weren't so professional, but still not bad though. The technical
difference between cars are:

the Westfield (wide-body) is bigger inside than the Caterham long cockpit, you
don't tend to rub shoulders with the passenger or be so tight a fit between the
sides and transmission tunnel. Also the screen seems to be a tad higher in the
Westy too. The chassis looks quite like the Caterham but there are differences,
suspension is also similar but lacks the anti-roll bars, the rear has pukka
independent suspension which is better (technically). The chassis has ali
panels riveted to it to make the tub, but the bodywork is GRP. On the road the
Westfield with the same Ford engine as the Caterham is as quick, it handles
differently with a much more stable feel but with slightly less steering
feedback. I also think the Westfield has the edge when handling on the limit
due to the independent rear, but has less steering feel and agility. I don't
think I'll ever know for sure which is best as you need to race one against
the other.

The biggest difference between these two cars as you have probably already
found is cost. My car cost 8,700 (inc. VAT) complete (all new parts)
less engine, spec :

1660cc Ford Crossflow (150bhp approx), wide-body SEi, disc brakes all round,
epoxy coated suspension & chassis, 195x50x15 tyres on alloys, full weather
gear (hood & tonneau), stainless exhaust system, adjustable seats, heater
(most important, I use it every day) and a 5 speed 'box.

But it took two years to build as it comes in such a basic form (and I was
poor), I had to rent a barn to build it which cost 60 a month. So now you
can see why the Westy looks cheaper, this is because you have to do the work
which has been done by Caterham. The quality of the chassis is excellent,
the welds are good and if you get it epoxy coated the chassis should last
a long time. The body work is good too, but to get it to Caterham standards
you'll need to put extra effort in here. In fact the body work is the hardest
part of the build, you will have to file rough edges and then sand and polish
as well as make everything look equal, because many parts don't come out of
the moulds that way.

General body work fitting will take a long time because it's difficult to
align it all, you really can't measure much so you have to get a 'best fit'
by looking at it. You also have to drill ALL holes in the bodywork which is
not a nice job when you consider that if you get it wrong there's no going
back!

But at the end of the day you can say that you have put a lot more of your
own skills into a Westfield, and you will look at it and feel proud.

Oh yes, remember it cost 8,700 to build, well it came to 10,500 in the end
due to price increases and me wanting the best/newist bits.

My advice to anyone interested in these cars to build is:

1. Go to the club meets and chat about the cars. These people are usually
   honest, so you'll know what you're getting yourself into. Don't believe
   the sales pitch about cost and build time, it always takes longer and costs
   more.

   From just reading the Westfield Club magazine it looks like an average
   build will take 1 year, which if I'd known I would have thought twice about
   doing it! I've got a friend here at Philips who after hearing this story
   bought himself a complete Caterham in kit form which took just a month to
   build (with three weeks off work) !! I think doing a complete kit Westy in
   6 months part-time is pushing it!

2. Ask yourself which you enjoy more - driving or building, this helps when
   deciding which model to go for.

3. Buy the build manual.

3. Visit the factory and test drive the cars, but remember you will probably
   be hooked from now on, so do this last.

4. Remember that the Westfield IS cheaper and looks better value, but (there's
   always a catch) there is a lot more work involved.

   And be careful if sourcing secondhand parts, my ex hot rod 150hp crossflow
   is already falling apart and only pushing out a sick 130bhp.

Although you do have to put more work into a Westfield you can make more
significant savings as the car uses standard Ford parts which you can recon
yourself. Whereas the Caterham is mostly in-house design/parts so you can't
make a saving.

Well, when all is done I have to say I love my car to death, and I wouldn't
be without it now. It has all the performance any sane person would need,
handling & acceleration are just unbeleiveable. I can heartliy recommend
either one!

                         -----------------

You will probably have noticed that Ben Hodson and myself work at the same
place. And yes, we have raced on the odd occasion. To be honest I don't
think there's much difference between the two at their limits. Even some
Brtish car mags can only come up with fors and againsts on each car - and
you won't find an article that has both tested side by side, fierce company
pride won't allow it!

I know of quite a few Formula One mechanics that own Westfields - I wonder
why.

Wait till I get my Vauxhall engine Hodson - then we'll see who gets
to work first :-)

Cheers,

        Matt

Ps. The chap bought a Caterham.