Wooden Wheels and Jag Cousins

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Wooden Wheels and Jag Cousins
From: JagXKE69@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 May 94 13:16:01 EDT
Can anyone out there help me with my wooden steering wheel
and locating a long lost Jaguar E-Type cousin?  Any advice
and suggestions will be most welcome!!

First...my steering wheel has developed those nasty splits
running several inches along the outside rim on both the
right and left sides, centered where spokes are laminated.

Following an article in E-Jag Magazine (3/92), I've already
removed, repaired, glued, clamped, and refinished this wheel
twice, but the splits keep coming back....usually after
someone else gets in/out of the car and pushes hard on the
top of the wheel.  It's very frustrating that old Jags get
no respect!

Splitting must be a fairly common problem on wooden steering
wheels, and I hope someone can suggest a "Killer" adhesive
that doesn't become brittle and will bond the wood "forever".
Is there such a thing?

Or, would it just be simpler to shop around/trade this wheel
in on a replacement?  Any sources that you know of for this?
I want to keep the original "look" and I'm not interested in
just a modern replacement.

Second...I'm trying to locate Jag E-Type cousin to the one I
currently own. Does anyone out there know of any type of Jag
Registry?  Wouldn't_that_ be nice?  I'd like to locate my first
Jaguar...a 1969 Series II Coupe (Ser #1R 25112).  My current
E-Type (Ser #1R 26368) is identical to that first one, and I'm
curious about what ever became of it after I traded it in on an
XJ-6 in 1974.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help and Happy Motoring!!

Bob Niesse    Phone: 312-649-5276   Fax: 312-649-7799
(jagxke69@aol.com)