FLASH: Triumph guy gets MG grease under fingernails!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: FLASH: Triumph guy gets MG grease under fingernails!
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 15:34:55 -0500 (CDT)
A friend needs to sell a '76 MGB (that's been in his garage for a couple of
years) before moving away in a couple of weeks, so I offered to help with
the "bring it back to life" process.  Reasonably good condition, new hoses,
belts, plugs, etc., before storing 2+ years ago, so this wasn't a hopeless
project by any means. Spent a couple of hours yesterday making sure valves,
rings, etc. weren't stuck, cleaned up the (ZS) carb, filled the radiator.
Hey, even though it's not a Triumph, I can see that someone could learn to
enjoy this car!  Access to the engine sure isn't what it was on the
Spitfires and GT6's I've had, but probably not much worse than the TR6.

I thought "we should check out the brake and clutch hydraulics next", and
found that the brakes were in good shape.  So where's the clutch cynlinder?
Oh, *there*, waaayy up under the back of the bonnet!  I couldn't even
figure out how to look down into the reservoir to check the level.  A
finger check indicated that the level was certainly low---"OK, so let's
fill it up."  Hmm, the funnel I brought won't fit there, can't find
anything else to use.

So tonight I'll bring some clear plastic tubing to run from the funnel into
the reservoir and fill it that way.  Is this the way you other 'B guys do
it?  (Uh, fill the clutch reservoir, that is.)

Hmmm, maybe, *just maybe*, my loving and understanding wife would like to
take a look at this  --- you know, a drop-top to drive until the TR6
restoration is done...

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu           (409) 845-3726         Fax (409) 845-9351