Re: New motor

To: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher) (Scott Fisher)
Subject: Re: New motor
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 94 13:45:26 PDT

> This, BTW, is why you wanted to put something like RedLine assembly
> lube all over your bearings, cam lobes, and the like.

While I rebuilding the snake engine (a long long time ago) I read an
article in some hot rog mag that claimed that the "real pros" installed
pistons without any lubricant in the cylinders so that the rings would
seat better and faster.  I was kinda tempted to give this a try but I
chickened out and oiled the hell out of everything.  Anyone ever hear
of or try this?

> ~      brand new freeze plugs!  Anyone ever changed a freeze plug while the
> ~      motor is in the car?
>
> Yes.  Danny and I did that.  Get a slide hammer and a solid, good-
> sized sheet-metal screw.  Punch the screw through the freeze plug

I've removed them without much trouble using a hammer and screwdriver.
I pushed one side in until it was rotated about 90 degrees then
pulled it out by hand.

Roland "just give it a good whack" Dudley