Re: New motor

To: randy@taylor.wyvern.com (Randy Wilson)
Subject: Re: New motor
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 19:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
Randy Wilson wrote:

> On a MGB engine (and Midget for that matter), the oil pump is driven directly
> by the camshaft; not by the distributor. Your only choice is to remove all
> spark plugs, and spin the engine with the starter until good oil pressure is
> shown.

**** I tried that on the MGA;  found I just didn't have the belly for it.  To
hasten the process, I backfilled the oil galleys through the oil pressure
gauge hose.  I remember there was a small funnel involved, and one of those
pumps that work off a power drill;  and a few different sizes of plastic
hose;  and a rag.  Sure was a mess when I finished!  But after that I got
full oil pressure with 10 seconds of cranking.

                               - Jerry Kaidor