Re: TR3 Restoration

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Restoration
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 25 May 1994 13:28:56 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Ray Gibbons asked about the TR3 restoration article from the TRF newsletter
that came out recently. I scanned a few SOL Digests, and didn't see any posts
on the subject...

The basic story line involves a father and son that restore a TR3 together
over a long period of time, 20 years if I remember correctly. It's the sort
of story that you hear a lot when old-car people get together. The exception
to the normal story line is the ending.

The story starts when the father finds a TR3 that has been under a tarp for
so long that there isn't even much of the tarp left. They get it home and it
sat for a while. One day they tinker with it a bit and it runs. Not only that
they manager to drive it around the yard (until a steering or brake calamity
occurs). The car goes back under wraps.

Years pass, children are added to the son's family... but the father is always
thinking about getting the old car back together. It then becomes a real family
project, as father, son and and son's wife tear into the project.

Finally, the car becomes roadworthy. The father gets to use the car, but sadly
passes away due to failing health.

The last comments in the article regard the son talking to his son about life
and cars and stuff as they drive off in the TR3.

It was _very_ touching. I recommend that you try to get your hands on a copy
of the Spring '94 TRF newsletter and read it. Heck, I'm getting emotional just
thinking about the story.

rml

p.s. This isn't a dig on the story, I was very moved. In the selling business
you can use various means to sell. One is pathos, appeal to the emotion of the
client. This story was aimed at the heart. Judging by my reaction, I think I'll
probably spend a couple thousand bucks at the Roadster Factory this year!

p.p.s. Dany Henry, tell that to Charles!

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |