Re: How to test turn signal flasher unit?

To: dirk.deboer@usask.ca (Dirk de Boer)
Subject: Re: How to test turn signal flasher unit?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 10:32:44 PDT
> I have a question for the electronically inclined: Can you test a turn signal
> flasher unit (say a Lucas three prong for an early MGB) on a bench using
> a 12 V power supply and a multimeter? If you can, how is it done?
> Most manuals say: if the turn signals do not work check the bulbs, the wiring,

> Dirk

Are these flasher units special in some way?  My snake's electrics are
a hybrid of Lucas and Ford components and I was able to replace the
original flasher with a generic unit I bought at a drug store for
$2-$3.  For that price it's not worth going to the trouble of testing
the old one IMO.  I also replaced a complicated looking (and expensive)
solid state flasher in an older VW with one of these cheapies.  Worked
just fine.

Roland