Re: hydraulic master cylinders

To: jfhess@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (John Hess) (John Hess)
Subject: Re: hydraulic master cylinders
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 13:17:52 PDT

> My question concerns the bore of the master cylinder. When I did the brake,
> it looked wonderful, smooth and shiny, like a clean shotgun barrel.  My
> local guru says I should have run some fine(!) sandpaper around inside the
> bore to clean out any undescribed glaze. (BTW I'm told that a hone is too
> hard, it will eat the aluminum.) He feels that the brake will need to be
> redone sooner than later since I didn't do that.  Now that I am getting
> ready to do the clutch (it's out of the car on the kitchen counter) does
> anyone have comments for me on pros or cons of cleaning the bore?

My personal opinion is that a leaky aluminum MCs should be replaced
rather than rebuilt.  If it's not pitted and you want to risk a rebuild
don't use a hone; use crocus cloth, very fine sandpaper (1500-2000) or
polishing compound.  I'm not familiar with the clutch MC in a Tiger but
the slave is identical to the one in my snake.  I bought a new one from
Sunbeam Specialties a couple of years ago for about $80; I bought a new
clutch MC from a different source for $60.  Money well spent, IMO.  If
your clutch MC cost a lot new, you might want to consider having White
Post install a brass bore-sleeve in your old one.  This will cost about
$50; and you'll need to buy a rebuild kit as well.

Roland