Re: hydraulic master cylinders

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jfhess@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (John Hess)
Subject: Re: hydraulic master cylinders
From: "Gendimenico, Mike A" <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 94 13:28:31 pst

>My question concerns the bore of the master cylinder. When I did the brake,
>it looked wonderful, smooth and shiny, like a clean shotgun barrel.  My
>local guru says I should have run some fine(!) sandpaper around inside the
>bore to clean out any undescribed glaze. (BTW I'm told that a hone is too
>hard, it will eat the aluminum.) He feels that the brake will need to be
>redone sooner than later since I didn't do that.  Now that I am getting
>ready to do the clutch (it's out of the car on the kitchen counter) does
>anyone have comments for me on pros or cons of cleaning the bore?

>John Hess, PhD                    Phone me 916 752 8420

For aluminum bores, I use scotch brite with some brake fluid.  It's
abrasive enough to get rid of the glaze but it won't damage the bore.
Get a long, large, cotter pin, put a piece of scotch brite in the
middle, stick it in a drill and run it in and out of the bore. Just be
careful not to hit the bore with the cotter pin.  A good permanent fix
for aluminum bores is getting them brass sleeved, about $50.  I know
Apple Hyd does it plus a few others.

Mike