Re: Freeze plugs

To: reilly@admail.fnal.gov
Subject: Re: Freeze plugs
From: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu (James D. Howard II)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 13:18:34 MST
I had never heard of the term core plug until very recently - but I
hear my Grandfather and my Dad and Uncle talk about freeze plugs all
the time, and how the one that comes out is the one by the firewall.

When I was visiting my grandfather last, I was telling him about how
we couldn't figure out why a friends Pontiac was overheating.  We
finally found that the vanes on the water pump had broken loose.  He
countered with how he had a Chevrolet once that kept overheating.  He
said it was brand new, and it would barley make it to the gas station
before boiling over.  He tried everything he could think of.  Finally,
he knocked out the freeze plugs, and sure enough, the sand from
casting the block was still there.  He cleaned it out, and it never
overheated again.  I went, gee, I knew GM had quality control
problems, but I did not know they were that bad.  When was this?

1926.

James