Leaky Stromberg fix?

To: British Car Digest <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaky Stromberg fix?
From: Glenna Hall <ghall@hebron.connected.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 22:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
I've been overhauling, i.e., cleaning and replacing gaskets and
seals, on my Z-S 175SEV carbs.  What got me started was that one
is much worse than its mate in holding its dashpot oil.  Moss
Motors describes how the seal can be replaced by removing the
needle assembly and pushing the adjusting bit with the seal back
up the guide rod. The o-ring is then replaced and the adjusting
assembly pushed back in place.  Has anyone successfully done
this?

Actually my situation is more complicated because I can't get the
needle out.  When I turn the adjusting screw until the needle is
at full extension it is still firmly attached to the adjusting
assembly.  At this point every turn has that buildup and
relaxation of resistance that feels like a stripped thread.  So
now I wonder if the needle and adjusting mechanism can be pushed
up the guide rod?  The needle assembly is smaller in diameter
than the guide rod above, so if one why not both?  Any
suggestions on how to proceed, or let bad enough alone, will be
appreciated.
               --Richard Hall, Seattle

ghall@hebron.connected.com