Re: Leaky Stromberg fix?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, Glenna Hall <ghall@hebron.connected.com>
Subject: Re: Leaky Stromberg fix?
From: "Gendimenico, Mike A" <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 94 07:50:35 pst

>Actually my situation is more complicated because I can't get the
>needle out.  When I turn the adjusting screw until the needle is
>at full extension it is still firmly attached to the adjusting
>assembly.  At this point every turn has that buildup and
>relaxation of resistance that feels like a stripped thread.  So
>now I wonder if the needle and adjusting mechanism can be pushed
>up the guide rod?  The needle assembly is smaller in diameter
>than the guide rod above, so if one why not both?  Any
>suggestions on how to proceed, or let bad enough alone, will be
>appreciated.
>               --Richard Hall, Seattle

The needle is held in by a retaining screw on the side of the piston. If
you turn the adjustment to far counter-clockwise, the needle dis-engages
from the adjustment screw and it results in the "stripped" feeling
you're getting.  Remove the retaining screw and turn the adjuster
counter-clockwise until you can pull the needle out from the bottom.
The adjusting screw and seal are held in by a star type retaining clip,
that you can see by looking in from the top.  I've never removed the
adjuster before, but it looks like you can push the whole thing out from
the bottom.  I think there was a thread on this a couple of months ago,
maybe someone who's done it can advise better.

Mike