Tale of MGA Woe...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tale of MGA Woe...
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 11:59:49 PDT
Fellow Scions,
I own a 1961 MGA 1600 Roadster.  It was a complete basket case when
I bought it for $800. in 1990.  Having just completed my 1956 MGA earlier
that year, I knew how to reassemble an MGA.  I thought I could restore
the '61 for $6K and sell it for $10K.  What a fool, you say?  You're right.

That was then, this is now.  After the usual shipwrights affliction, I have
spent over $11K, plus my *time*.  The car has a lovely Chariot Red
paint job, real leather seats, a stainless steel exhaust system, 100%
rebuilt engine (new pistons, balanced, greened head, etc.) and everything
else rebuilt or replaced.  It looks, runs and drives great - just like a new
car,
which it virtually *is*.

The car has been completed and for sale for a year now.  I'm asking
$13,500. at a time when buyers are few and don't seem to want completely
restored cars, only bargains which will end up costing my asking price
eventually anyway.  I need the garage space and could use the money to
restore my TR4A.

I don't expect any buyers from this list and sure don't deserve any sympathy.
Perhaps it's just another lbc lesson to share:  Buy only what you *really* want
and don't even think about making any money restoring a car to sell.

Thanks for listening!

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive
1961 MGA, Chariot Red - For Sale
Others...