Re: Steering Wheels

To: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com
Subject: Re: Steering Wheels
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 13:51:28 CDT
Doug,

   > Does anyone know of a place that reconditions steering wheels?
   > My Spit`s wheel (foam) is badly cracked, and resists any attempt
   > that I have made to repair it. Super glue does not hold, didn't

The Roadster Factory has new steering wheels they say fit the TR-6.
They appear to be identical to those used in the 1970 Spitfire Mk3*,
Mk4*, and early 1500: 3 spokes painted silver, foam rim covered in
simulated leather stuff.  My recollection is that they weren't
particularly cheap but not outrageously expensive either.  They looked
to be of good quality (I saw them in the "Runyan Room" at the 1992 VTR
National).  I think that they would fit the Spit as many pieces from the
TR-6 fit Spitfires of the same vintage (or vice versa :-)).

Good luck,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu

* These cars had the same wheel but with black spokes.  I have a wheel out of
a 1975 Spitfire that has black spokes too.  Did any Spitfires have silver
spokes?