Mini engine out

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mini engine out
From: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 94 14:13:50 +0100
I took the plunge and decided to take the engine/box out of my Mini
this weekend to see what it was like. It was noisy at the clutch end
and getting a bit too hot.

To my surprise all the nuts and bolts came off easily and none were
sheered. I drained the water from the radiator and the block but
water only dribbled out of the block. On removing the head I found
lots of bits of rust and a small brass bolt in the water passages in
the block. I guess it doesn't help the cooling! Can anyone recommend
a way to get rid of all this crap?

I managed to get the engine out ok and began stripping it by removing
the flywheel and housing. I had to make up a flywheel puller using a
thick piece of steel,3 head studs and a rod bolt, worked a treat.
The starter motor looked ok but the teeth on the flywheel were all
chewed up.

The clutch throwout bearing didn't look in too good shape and I guess
that was what was causing the noise.  I was under the impression that
the idler (drop) gear bearing in the flywheel housing was bronze but
it seems that they're all roller bearing. How do I check if they need
replacing or should I do it as a matter of course?

I got as far as splitting the engine from the transmission and I'm
planning to replace the main and big end bearings some other weekend.
I'll probably renew the timing gear at the same time as well as
decoking the head.

Anyone ever replaced the camshaft bearings on an early Mini?

Steve