Re: Mini engine out

To: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Mini engine out
From: grif@win.icl.co.uk
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 94 09:55:45 BST
When I had my mini engine re-built last I took it to AvonBar in Surrey;
it was a bit expensive but I am pleased with the results.  Of the many
things I had done was to get the block thoroughly cleaned in some kind
of caustic bath, but I don't remember the details.  Mini's are at best
marginal on cooling, especially in trafic - even in England!

Two things I would recomend doing, since you have the engine out;
replace the clutch - these are cheap in the UK and a pain in the ****
to replace once the powerunit is back in the car; replace the clutch
throwout bearing, also a pain in the **** (BTW new ones don't look
like the ones fitted on early mini's but they work fine).  Finally
when you replace the bell housing it is important to get the bolts in
the right place, two are shorter than the rest, there is a correct
place to put these, which is near the back.  If you don't get this
right then removing the bell housing whilst still in the car is nearly
impossible since these two bolts foul on the body work.  Also go ahead
and replace the timing gear.  I've no experience of replacing anything
to do with the camshaft, so I can't offer any advice there - sorry.

Phil.