The Film, the Carbs and Other Things

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Film, the Carbs and Other Things
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 11:53:29 EST
 Chris Ball: it sounds to me like you saw Truffault's *Day for Night*,
 although I'm not sure why it would have been in Italian. I've never seen the
 whole film, but I know it features a Vitesse that gets *cliffed* in
 the end....

 Larry Snyder: I would think the Mk.2 Spitfire carbs would work ok, except
 that
 the manifolds for same would be no good on a Mk.3 eight-port head
 (the 1147cc engine used siamesed intake ports -- unless you have a carb
 setup off one of the rare eight-port 1147cc engines!) My experience
 over the years is that the Mk.3 dual-carb manifold is not that easy to
 find here in the States!

 Donald Hardy: what can I say? The advice about the Spitfire clutch sounds
 preposterous! Must be an old spouses's tale (PC terminology is
 everywhere ;-) ). Reminds me of advice my dad swears he was given when he
 bought
 his first Triumph 10 in late 1958: *Don't bother with first gear
 unless you're climbing a hill, pulling stumps, etc.* He took the advice
 to heart; somehow the 10 survived this for five years. The Herald that
 replaced it in 1964 was not so lucky: the first clutch lasted less than
 a year, after which, at the wise age of 11, I managed to convince him
 that there was a useful purpose to first gear other than to hold the car
 while
 parked in the driveway!

 Dad loved Triumphs but was the most unmechanical person who ever lived.
 Fortunately, his stamp collection never left him stranded by the side of the
 road!

 Andy -- if only I LIKED stamps. There much easier to maintain... -- Mace