Re: The Film, the Carbs and Other Things

To: amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV
Subject: Re: The Film, the Carbs and Other Things
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 6:34:18 CDT
[No LBC content...]

Andy Mace writes:
>  Dad loved Triumphs but was the most unmechanical person who ever lived.

I may have to differ with you on this.  An article by David L.
Chandler of the Boston Globe appeared Monday in our local paper:

   "He may be the most brilliant scientist in the world today when it
comes to quantum mechanics.
   "But change the subject to auto mechanics, and Murray Gell-Mann is
out of his depth.
   "Gell-Mann is the inventor of... the theory of quarks...
   "On a camping trip in Mexico years ago, ... Gell-Mann decided to
check his car's oil; he asked to borrow a dipstick.  Told his car had
its own dipstick, Gell-Mann went off to have a look.  He decided to
add some oil.  Moments later, [his companions] discovered that
Gell-Mann had removed the car's air filter and was about to pour a
quart of oil straight into the carburetor -- something most drivers
know would ruin the engine.  He was stopped in the nick of time."

Even I've never tried this trick!
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA