Re: brake fluid

To: jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 6 Jun 1994 15:26 EDT
>From hydro.on.ca!jody.p.levine Mon Jun  6 17:48:57 1994
>>Actually, the brit-cars legend precedes the DOT X labels.  Back in
>>the 50s/60s, it was accepted practice not to use the USA domestic
>>brake fluids in a British car because (as the story goes) the British
>>car's rubber brake components were made using a different type
>>of rubber (i.e. live rubber) than similar components in American
>>vehicles.  The legend has it that use of American brake fluid in
>>a British car's brake system would lead to disintegration of the
>>Brit Car's rubber brake components (seals, etc.)
>
>Ah. Very interesting.
>
>>All this was well before the advent of silicon (DOT 5) fluids, so
>>my comments are, indeed, related to DOT 3/DOT 4 (the girling LMA
>>fluid containers are labeled DOT 4 as I recall.)
>
>Still, is not DOT 4 an evolution of DOT 3 such that if you don't need
>DOT 4's advanced specs, then DOT 3 would do?
>Jody

Well, that's been my understanding.  Anyone that can shed more
detailed light on the DOT 3/4/5 compatability, please do.

Cheers,

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com