Re: The TR4, orphan or not...

To: passaret@sol.med.ge.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The TR4, orphan or not...
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 13:01:32 -0700
In message <9406061817.AA18618@sol.med.ge.com> "Mr. Mike" Passaretti x7-4485
writes:

Varoius outraged rants & raves deleted

Mike, going through a TR3 rebuild, I can feel the frustrations that you are
going through.  Though the Roadster Factory is the best quality wise of the
aftermarket TR parts houses, none of them have evidently figured out how to
properly spec parts and qualify them.  Moss is way behind, especialy in finish &
materials.  I just got some parts in from them that were pre-rusted.  i have to
refinish almost all metal parts that come from a supplier that should have had a
rust resistant coating pre-applied.  In TRF's flyer, they mention the metal tube
that goes on the lower raditaor hose.  They mentioned that this is a common part
to rust through.  Mine was.  I ordered a new one.  It came unfinished and
pre-rusted.  I was provided with the oppertunity to sand blast this new part
before I could even apply paint.  I also got to do this with the metal strap on
the retangular rubber bumper that goes under the lower shock mount on the front
end (also from TRF).

You might try Moss on anything that TRF does not carry.  They have a MUCH wider
selection of parts and some even have a nice finish.  On my last parts rush, TRF
only had 3 of the parts I wanted.  A call to Moss after ordering the 3 from TRF
got 12 more parts, leaving me with 4 to scrounge from bone yards.

Unfortunatly, we can not realistically expect the parts houses like The Roadster
Factory, Moss Motors, and Victoria British to carry every part for every year &
model of LBC.  Ford & GM can't even do that for their cars with all the
resources they have.  TRF does a great job of tracking down original type parts
and Moss has soooo many of those odd parts that do wear out with age.  Because
of these companys we are better off that some people who try to restore other
marques.  At least we do not need to have almost every part fabricated (we just
need to refinish the parts that we can get).

> While I'm on the subject, why is it that the TR6,250 and now the
> TR3 have their own catalogues from TRF, but the 4/4A are still
> out in the cold?

TRF TR3 catalogue????  Are you sure they actually have one?  I have not recieved
one & I've sent them enough money to pay for them to make one (or so it seems).

> Anyone got a contact at a boneyard somewhere that actually _knows_
> this stuff?  I need a windscreen washer pump that's been coming
> in a few months for the last 2 years...
>
>                                                       -MM

You might try Triumphs only for the spring spacers and the TR4 washer.  I was
there a couple of weeks ago & saw a few in a box.  It looked like you could
assemble a couple of good ones out of the stock.  Ring Wayne at 408-947-7766.
Make sure he knows that you want a complete good one.  Wayne can overprice some
things.  He will undercut someone else's price, but if you just ask a price he
will go for a much as he think you might pay.

Good luck sourcing parts, as bad as the situatin is, its better than 10 years
ago and better than my room mate's '84 Dodge Omni.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561