RE: British Cars Digest #1240 Mon Jun 6 01:15:00 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1240 Mon Jun 6 01:15:00 MDT 1994
From: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 16:32:52 PDT
From: Anthony315@aol.com
Subject: Spitfire Clutch

>. ... later 1500's are
>also known for dropping the pivot pin out of the release arm. This allows the
>arm end to slide about half an inch rearward til it bottoms on the back of
>the bellhousing. I've got a roll pin and sleeve on order but according to the
>archives this was one response to the same problem.

Same problem with my 79 Midget (1500, I assume same clutch as spitfire).  I
replaced the notorious pin with a
hex-head bolt, head on top, nylon insert nut on bottom.  Even if the nut falls
off, it is better than the original
design.  The bolt was (I think) 5/16 dia, use cut not rolled threads so the
threads will pass through the holes.
The bolt head will not quite fit down on the contoured aluminum housing, unless
you grind off approx 1/3 of
the head circumference.  I didn't care if it didn't fit, so I didn't grind it
off.  I'll bet this is a common problem, and
the symptoms led me to think for a long time I just needed to bleed the clutch
better.  If these symptoms are
experienced, check for the presence of the pin.  It *might* be possible to
replace it without pulling the
engine, but my engine was out before I discovered the absence of the pin.

Name: Ray W. James
E-mail: Ray James <rwj4123@sigma.tamu.edu>
Date: 06/06/94
Time: 16:32:53